Website about Little Deuteren and the family de Leeuw.
voorhuis
  Some text is translated from very old Dutch and I have tried to transpose it in readable English. But even in old Dutch some of the words are difficult to understand.  
  under construction Table of dates with the change of name of 'Oeteren' to 'Deuteren' and its surroundings.  
  from the Iron-Age Recently (april 1993) there was an archeological observation in a small part of the mound, due to new to build structures nearby, where 'Little Deuteren' is build on.
An astonishing surprise was that it was not an artificial mound, completely made by men, but that it was a natural mound 1, formed by nature, and heightened further by the hand of men.
Already in the Iron-age it was inhabited according to several potsherds they found. 'Little Deuteren' and the close by situated 'Koedonk' belong to the remainders of a ridge of sand at the westside of the city. 
  1. 'Municipalty Bois-le-Duke in the Netherlands, section Buildinghistory, Archeology and Monuments, A. van Drunen: Buildinghistorial and Archeological messages'.
  2. 'This pleistocene sandridge naer a swamp onwhich Bois le Duke developed ( area around the Market nowadays ), is a reminder of a at that place lokal discontinued sandridge. Other remains are thesandridges of van Little- en Great-Deuteren and the spurs of the sandridge Rosmalen-Herpen onwhich Orthen, de Heinis en Hintham lay'.(in Dutch)
 
  from 1100 Men started upstream to embank the rivers 1. In consequence of this there were more frequent and violent freshnets 2. The original mounds were to low and they heightened the natural mounds to artificial mounds.
  1. According to J.v.d.Vaart, Great Deuteren_expansionplan West II.
  2. After the 15th century there were floods. Before 1446 the polders beneath the city were endiked. After 1446 the polders above the city were endiked.
 
  from 1185 The arise of Bois-le-Duke 1; before 1185 was at the location of nowadays Bois-le-Duke a great forrest of Duke Hendrik van Brabant. People first settled down here in 1185. The occupants of the place Heusden, became very jealous of this growing and properous village Bois-le-Duke and killed the villagers and burned down Bois-le-Duke. The Duke then decided, with assistance of the towns Brussels, Louvain and Antwerp, to place a town-wall around Bois-le-Duke.
  1. North Brabantines museum: the siege of Bois-le-Duke in 1629, page 36. Nicknames of the city: 'The swampdragon', 'The Rome of the North'.
 
  from 1300 At most mounds is occupation: with excavations (in 1993) they dig up complete oxes 1 at Little Deuteren.
  1. Municipalty Bois-le-Duke in the Netherlands, section Buildinghistory, Archeology and Monuments, J.R. Treling: 'Buildinghistorial and Archeological messages'.
 
  8 Oct 1329 Cleyne Oterken (Little Deuteren) 1; Number 49 1329, 8 October. Domin post Remigii. John (Jan) III grants Bois-le-Duke to cell the wood of ´Little Oeteren´ 2 (Deuteren). The seal of the Duke on the paper is still in perfect condition.
  1. Schutjes: Churchhistory of Bois-le-Duke, Part 4 Page 165. Probably has Schutjes himself chosen for the name Little Oterken!
  2. C.E. Hermans: contributions to the history. He too will have chosen for the name Little Oeteren [Little Oterken], to point out the location!
 
  27 March 1348

Goswinus Cnode (name of a person) transfers circa 2 acres land (part of 2000 acres land, also called so) to Jutte, the mistress of the Great-guest-hosiptal 1 at Bois-le-Duke. The land lies in ´Oeteren´.

  1. Magistrates in Bois-le-Duke charters.
 
  1352-1542 etc. The town-wall around Bois-le-Duke is continual raised.  
  1397 Brabantines-Guelders war; duration 8 years.  
  1400 Great death-rate 1 at Bois-le-Duke.
  1. Collections of chronicles, first piece of P. Stokvis, page 51.
 
  1416-1417 About 1416-1417 there was at ten Bosch (Bois–le–Duke) a mean disease named pleurites 1. Many people died of pleuritis, even if they already had survived the plague.
  1. From P. Stokvis, Collections of chronicles according to the city and surroundings of Bois-le-Duke; pleuritis with stinging pain in the side.
 
  1406 in engels niet erbij geplaatst. Item Vrancke van Orten, van den dijc tusschen maelstr. ende den Bosch ende die Oeteren 1 te verwaren van den allinger jaer, 2 gul.(gulden).
  1. R. van Zijlen: Inventaris der archieven van de stad Den Bosch.
 
  1439-1442 Great death-rate by the plague or pestilence 1 at Bois-le-Duke. In this year was at Bois-le-Duke a great pestilence, of which the mortality from this year until the year 1442 lasted. The death-rate was tremendous, and the town was so empty, that the grass in town was as high as the grass in the camps and the fields.
  1. Collections of chronicles, first piece of P. Stokvis, page 57. Also a link to a description about the Plage, written in English by Ron Wild: History Magazine – The Black Death.
 
  12 june 1463 By a fierce fire in Bois-le-Duke, do not burn only 4000 houses, but also the city-house.  
  1478 Guelders war in conjunction with the French.  
  1516 Construction of a new dyke 1 from the Cow-gate 2 ´near the Oeteren´ to Vlijmen, Heusden, the ´Langer straten´ and on to Holland. This is the dyke 3 along the river Dieze.
  1. Newspaper-article of father Adrianus O.F.M. Cap [1884-1962, Joseph Joannus Gerardus Koens]: 'Deuteren in former time a hamlet, now a quater of a town'.
  2. This is now called the Sint Janspoort [Sint Jansgate].
  3. P. Stokvis, 'Collections of chronicles according to the city and surroundings of Bois-le-Duke', page 105.
 
  1520 Occupation of Bois-le-Duke is now estimated on 25.000 1.
  1. Newspaper-article of A.C.W. van der Wel: 'Decay settled the Bosche [Bois-le-Duke] innnercity its hash'.
 
  1524 Goyard, the carpenter, has repaired wooden bridge 1 Oetheren 2 with helpers in 4 days. At 1 April 1524 the Guelders had burned down the village Orthen.
  1. Picture of the little bridge..
  2. Newspaper-article of father Adrianus O.F.M. Cap [1884-1962, Joseph Joannus Gerardus Koens]: 'Deuteren in former time a hamlet, now a quater of a town'.
 
  febr 1531 Transportletter of a long lease, 3 Carolusguilders (Dutch florins) per annum, of a house, yard and land situated at the place ´die Oetheren´, belonging to Jacobus, son of Tjeodorus van Hedel.
  1. H.J.M. van Rooy, notarial copy of Old-archive of the Great-guest-hosiptal at Bois-le-Duke, 1531/2.
 
  5 juni 1543 Also on the 5th of the month June at 1 o'clock in the morning, the Guelders went from Boemel to Empel, and burned down everything on there path to Hintham. They burned 14 houses which belonged to: Claes die Mol, Hilleken Theuwen, Simon de Mol, Lang Henric Mol, Ian de Becker, Ruel die Mol, Dirc Ruelen, Hubert inden Leeu, Goeyart van Engelant, Gozen van Beeck, Dirck and Jan van Engelant, and a block of houses at the marketplace.
  1. P. Stokvis, Collections of chronicles according to the city and surroundings of Bois-le-Duke: also in here the chronicles of Aelbertus Cuperinus [he deceased at 1560], page 120.
 
  19 juni 1543 On the XIX day in June the Guelders moved from Bommel to Empel and to Engelen near to Oeteren 1. The group was ijc 2 men strong, and comitted a great robbery by stealing animals and burned down the farm 'Dachverlies' where there were 100 sheep and the 'Toelincxfarm'.
  1. P. Stokvis, Collections of chronicles according to the city and surroundings of Bois-le-Duke: also in here the chronicles of Aelbertus Cuperinus [he deceased at 1560], page 120.
  2. 1100 men according to newspaper-article of father Adrianus O.F.M. Cap [1884-1962, Joseph Joannus Gerardus Koens]: 'Deuteren in former time a hamlet, now a quater of a town'.
 
  1579 Expenses for carpenter's work on the 4th of April to Jan Janssen, Jan Peeters, Ariaen Gerits; They each worked for 6 days at Uteren (Oeteren) 1 at the plank bridge. Also on the 25th of April has there been worked by Jan Janssen and his companiens at the bridge at Uteren (Oeteren).
  1. Newspaper-article of father Adrianus O.F.M. Cap [1884-1962, Joseph Joannus Gerardus Koens]: Deuteren in former time a hamlet, now a quater of a town and the chronicles of Aelbertus Cuperinus [he deceased at 1560].
 
  22 sept 1583 Military spending of a messenger's fee to soldier Jan Jacops, because he went outside the city by night, at the command of his Lords. He was located as watchman at Oeteren 1, to warn the watchmen at the Sint Jansgate for a possible arrival of the enemy.
  1. R. van Zijlen, 'Inventorys of the archives of the city Bois-le-Duke'.
 
  30 juni 1587 Register of the estate-steward of the Dominion for the quarter Bois-le-Duke containing: p: the same declares, that in the presence of him is staked out a piece of municipal, that was sold by the magistrates, Mayor and neighbours of the town Vught, Cromvoirt and Oetheren 1 to Mathijs van der Meer and was located at the 'Winterstroom' behind the Convent of the Carthusians at Vught.
  1. A.F.O. van Sasse van Ysselt: 'New catalog of charters and handwritings'.
 
  29 dec 1593 Magistrate-letter, in wich Margriet, daughter of late Aerts Peeterszoon de Bont, widow of Jan Bernts, transfers an enclosed field, circa 4 acres land big, located inside the immunity of Bois-le-Duke. The land it self is called behind the Oetheren 1. The charge is an annually payment of 30 pennies to purchase candles in the our 'Onze Lieve Vrouwenhuisje' in the Beurdsebrug.
  1. H.J.M. van Rooy, 'Old-archive of the Great-guest-hosiptal at Bois-le-Duke, I2386'.
 
  1594 On Sint Jamesday 1 in 1543 Martin van Rossum 2 started at Vught and here fire 3. On the 4th August 1580 it was instructed that all houses on the Vranckenhof had to be demolished and the trees on the Reut 4 to be grubbed up. In 1594 was orderd not to rebuild some of the houses near town. From the Sint Jansgate to Deuteren there is no mention of any early builded houses 5. Up to now, there is no building 6 placed on the mound Little Deuteren.
  1. 25 July
  2. North Brabantines museum: the siege of Bois-le-Duke in 1629, page 36; Maarten van Rossum, a Guelders leader who's actions effected that a part of the trade of Bois-le-Duke began to decline.
  3. North Brabantines museum: the siege of Bois-le-Duke in 1629, page 36; Not only fire, but also murder.
  4. J. v d. Vaart: Great Deuteren expansionplan West II.; hamlet wich gave way in the 16th centuary for fort Isabella.
  5. Schutjes, Churchhistory of Bois-le-Duke, part 4 page 170.
  6. According to Schutjes.
 
  1596 Extract from the will of Hendrik Gijsbertszoon van der Braecke, priest, born at Vught, by which he, lying sick in the Great-guest-hosiptal, disposed of an acre land located in the parish of Sint Lambert at Vught. It was called 'The Oetheren 1 over the moutains', 1596.
  1. Over the mountains means here: the mounds. From H.J.M. van Rooy, Old-archive of the Great-guest-hosiptal at Bois-le-Duke.: I3472.
 
  1596-1603 Somone out of this place is called 'He is from d'Euteren' 1. This is how the word 'Deuteren' developed.
  1. Newspaper-article of father Adrianus O.F.M. Cap [1884-1962, Joseph Joannus Gerardus Koens]: 'Deuteren in former time a hamlet, now a quater of a town'.
 
  13 okt 1603 'The Archduke Aalbrecht 1 came from time to time inside the town and made many gabions 2, hurdles 3 and twigs 4, with intent to capture the entrenchment 5 at Deuteren 6. On the thirteenth October he let, late at night, many soldiers come to town and at night he raised an artillery on a field between the Sint Jansgate and Deuteren. The next morning, he let his men shout war-cries on the side of the town Herlair 7, to lure the Staatsen thither. But the entrenchment at Deuteren had light a fire against the cold.
Maurits 8 noticed it and hurried to this place instead of the trap in Herlair. The army of Aalbrecht started to shoot at dawn, by which the artillery completely was crushed; yet Maurits immediately brought out three field-pieces, with what he blaze away the opponents in the defensife works. This frithened them so much, that they became confused and deserted everything. Some time later, they removed the artillery. The Staatsen now got beams, hurdles and entrenchments, whith what they enabled the entrenchment at Deuteren 9 again. Four days later 10, the ArchDuke Aalbrecht pretended to attack the entrenchment at Deuteren with a great army; that's why at night he let 5000 infantry march into town through the Hinthammergate. When they arived at the marketplace the infantry stayed there and waited for the time to pass. The next morning they occupied on command of Aalbrecht the city. The civilians disturbed themselves about this and called out that this was against the terms upon which the city in the year 1579, had reconciliated with the King of Spain. Aalbrecht however, let 3000 men stay there in occupation and provided the city with military stores'.
In this period, there is no mention of a Cellar or house on the mound of Little Deuteren.
  1. Aalbrecht, archduke of Austria tries useless to conquer this entrenchment. He died in 1621.
  2. Cilindrical basket of wattlework [fascines of willowtwigs] of very unequal dimensions, used as clothe of breastworks in batterys and trenches. It has no bottom.
  3. Wattlework of willowtwigs to screen of something.
  4. Thin, together binded willowtwigs.
  5. This lay between the Sint Jansgate and the location called Little Deuteren.
  6. J.H. van Heurn: 'History of the city and shrievalty of Bois-le-Duke'.
  7. Castle Out Herlear near the place Vught east of the river Dommel.
  8. Prins of Orange, 1567-1625, belonged to the Staatsen.
  9. Probably exactly the same location as in 1629, between the Sint Jansgate and the location called Little Deuteren.
  10. Oudenhoven, Description of Bois–le–Duke + Harræus, ´Tom.III page 617–618´.
 
  26 april 1629 Bois-le-Duke occupies about 11.300 1 civilians and 2100 solders with there wifes and children 2.
  1. North Brabantines museum: the siege of Bois–le–Duke in 1629, page 31+38, soldiers in the barracks not counted for.
  2. Newspaper–article of A.C.W. van der Wel: decay settled the Bosche [Bois–le–Duke] innnercity its hash. He says; 12.000–15.000 soldiers. This thesis is probably not right.
 
  2 mei 1629 'Deuteren 1 and Pettelaar were burned to the ground and all the trees were cut down.' This happened between the 3th and 5th of May 1629 in order of our Gouvernment 2, to discover the enemy better. In the night, soldiers of Bois le Duke pierced the dykes outside the city, to hinder the enemy. 'At the point of 1000 3 soldiers, captain Kevelaar 4 from Breda succeeded, however not without danger to his live, to pass Deuteren 5 by bathing through the water, to go through the Sint Jansgate and to reach the town.' The enemy existed of Prins Frederik Hendrik 6 and the Staatsen 7. The city Bois-le-Duke was besieged by them. The village Deuteren was destroyed and Colonel Pinsen 8 took his quarters in the entrenchment of Deuteren on the 2th of May.
  1. F.A.M. Arnolds, 'Legends and stories from Bois–le–Duke'.
  2. Brabantine State and the Spaniards.
  3. North Brabantines museum: 'The siege of Bois–le–Duke in 1629', page 31: says 800 manpower from the place Breda at 04 May 1629.
  4. Captain Kevelaer.
  5. F.A.M. Arnolds, 'Legends and stories from Bois–le–Duke'.
  6. Prins of Orange, Count of Nassau, 1584–1647, was trained to be commander–in–chief by his halfbrother Maurits.
  7. The French.
  8. Willem Pinsen van der Aa, colonel with the Staatsen.
 
  1629-1630 Maps: There is no mention found of 'something' on sooner dated maps 1. On a map from 1603, is 'Den Drag Boom' 2 on the location of Little Deuteren reported. This 'Den Drag Boom' is the wooden bridge. There is also an entrenchment at this place, called de Cow-Entrenchment 3. The road between the Sint Jansgate and Deuteren crosses at this location the little river 'the Great Elder' (In Dutch: de Grote Vlier). Here could be the wooden bridge, where in the course of the history various reparations have been done to. Little Deuteren, is mentioned for the first time on a map of J. Prempart in 1630. On this map is drawn a redoubt with the report 'La Cave' 4. In this natural mound the Staatsen probably have digged a cellar for the storage of ammunition (for Pinsen). Along the nowadays called road 'Oude Vlijmenseweg', there were in 1629 approaches 5 and redoutes 6.
  1. Not all the charts have been seen!
  2. North Brabantines museum: 'The siege of Bois–le–Duke in 1629', page 37. Also on a chart of Aenwysinge made in May 1929.
  3. North Brabantines museum: 'The siege of Bois–le–Duke in 16291, page 37
  4. French for The Cellar. This is not the barrel–vaulted cellar nowadays under the building. The rectanglular cellar is problably older then the barrel–vaulted cellar.
  5. Trenches.
  6. Protecting entrenchment.
 
  1600-1700 Not until the seventeenth century a relative small heightening 1 of the mound took place. There occur more floods due to applied embankment.
  1. Municipalty Bois–le–Duke in the Netherlands, section Buildinghistory, Archeology and Monuments, J.R. Treling: 'Buildinghistorial and Archeological messages'.
 
  1740 Little Deuteren is now for the first time being drawn by means of a little block on a map 1 from 1740. On this map is later by someone written with big letters 'Little Deuteren'.
  1. Cityarchive of Bois–le–Duke: St.10737 A3[446] 1740-50.
 
  14 febr 1757 In the year 1757 1 this hamlet 2 sufferd great by high flood and ice-floes. Nowhere in the surrounding there were, proportionally, more animals drowned and houses damaged, then here. The highest water-level was 6 ell and 88-4 inches regarding Amsterdam Water-Mark. Duration 50 days. Normal high water was 1,40 metre above Amsterdam Water-Mark.
  1. v.d. Aa: ´Aardrijkskundig Woordenboek´ or gazetteer.
  2. Deuteren, existing of Great and Little Deuteren.
 
  9 okt 1794 When the French in 1794 besieged Bois-le-Duke, they had at Little Deuteren a masked construction 1 for a battery, from where they bombarded the city. Little Deuteren became partial destroyed. According to the legend of the family de Leeuw, there was a cannon-ball 2 in the forefront of the building Little Deuteren.
  1. Newspaper–article in cityarchive of Bois–le–Duke from J.A.M. Roelands.
  2. Probably from our own army. The canon–ball will not be any more in the front of the building due to rebuildings in 1814.
 
  1799 Height high-water: 6,82 metre (6 ell and 79 inches).  
  01 juni 1814 Little Deuteren is after departure of the French raised out of its foundations. Peter de Leeuw lays as 10-year old the first stone in the forefront of Little Deuteren.  
  24 mrt 1851 The left dyke at the Dieze collapses: the street from the Sint Jansgate to Little Deuteren is flooded.  
  na 1932 The first ribbonbuilding 1 alongside the 'Oude Vlijmenseweg'.
  1. Ribbon building, one line of housing.
 

Bronvermelding:
• Municipalty Bois-le-Duke in the Netherlands, section Buildinghistory, Archeology and Monuments, J.R. Treling and A. van Drunen: 'Buildinghistorial and Archeological messages'.
• J. v d. Vaart: Great Deuteren_expansionplan West II.
• North Brabantines museum: the siege of Bois-le-Duke in 1629.
• Schutjes: Churchhistory of Bois-le-Duke, Part 4.
• C.E. Hermans: 'Contributions to the History'.
• ´Magistrates in Bois-le-Duke charters´.
• R. van Zijlen: 'Inventorys of the archives of the city Bois-le-Duke'.
• Father Adrianus O.F.M. Cap (1884-1962, Joseph Joannus Gerardus Koens): 'Newspaper-article of Deuteren in former time a hamlet, now a quater of a town'.
• A.C.W. van der Wel, newspaper-article: 'Decay settled the Bosche (Bois-le-Duke) innnercity its hash'.
• H.J.M. van Rooy: 'Old-archive of the Great-guest-hosiptal at Bois-le-Duke, 1531/2'.
• Chronicles of Aelbertus Cuperinus (he deceased at 1560), page 120.
•A.F.O. van Sasse van Ysselt: 'New catalog of charters and handwritings'.
• J.H. van Heurn: 'History of the city and shrievalty of Bois-le-Duke'.
• Oudenhoven: 'Description of Bois-le-Duke'.
• Harræus: ´Tom.III´.
• F.A.M. Arnolds: 'Legends and stories from Bois-le-Duke'.
• Cityarchive of Bois-le-Duke: St.10737 A3(446) 1740-50.
• v.d. Aa: 'Aardrijkskundig Woordenboek' or gazetteer.
• J.A.M. Roelands: Newspaper-article in cityarchive of Bois-le-Duke.